The following is a personal selection of my must-see layer-fMRI abstracts presented at SFN/OHBM/ISMRM. If I missed something, please let us know (layerfMRI@gmail.com).
SFN 2019 in Chicago
- 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm, 092.12/ BB63. Poster, O. STANLEY, Phase-based macrovascular filtering from gradient echo bold fMRI reduces orientation dependence.
- 8:00 am – 8:15 am, 111.01/Room S402. Nanosymposium talk, J. TOWNSEND: Non-invasive mapping of acoustic-phonetic speech features in human superior temporal gyrus using ultra-high field 7T fMRI.
- 11:00 am – 12:00 am, 141.04/K28. Poster, T. LIU: Affective processing of face stimuli in human primary visual cortex.
- 8:00 am – 8:15 am, 272.01/Room S405, Nanosymposium Talk, T. NAVARRO SCHRÖDER: Origin and distribution of grid-cell-like representations in humans
- 9:00 am – 10:00 am. 312.26/N43. Poster, A. S. PERSICHETTI: Layer specific contributions to imagined and executed hand movements in primary motor cortex.
- 10:00 am – 10:15 am. 268.09/Room N427. Nanosymposium Talk, J. BERGMANN: Superficial V1 layers contain information on visual illusions, whereas mental imagery is decodable in deep V1 layers.
- 9:00 am – 10:00 am. 490.06/N3. Poster, J. ORTIZ-TUDELA: Decoding memory-specific feedback signals from early visual areas.
- 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm. 577.17/K16. Poster, K. NAVARRO, Structural measures of magno- and parvocellular projections in visual cortex using ultra-high field fMRI.
- 10:00 am- 11:00 am, 664.23/J24. Poster, W. LIN: Feature based attention modulates BOLD signals of parvocellular layers in human lateral geniculate nucleus.
OHBM 2019 in Rome
Educational: fMRI at the Resolution Scale of Cortical Columns and Layers
- 8:00 Wietske van der Zwaag: From Spins to Laminar Function: The physics of high-field, high resolution MRI
- 8:35 David Norris: Choices of Imaging Readout at 7 Tesla
- 9:10 Amir Shmuel: Analysis of the Spatial Specificity of BOLD and Cerebral Blood Volume fMRI: Reliable, optimized decoding and high-resolution imaging of cortical columns
- 10:05 Laurentius Huber: Non-BOLD Contrasts to Improve the Interpretability of High-resolution fMRI in Humans
- 10:40 Jonathan Polimeni: Preprocessing and Analysis Strategies for Laminar fMRI
- 11:20 Rainer Goebel: Revealing Detailed Neural Correlates of Human Perception and Cognition Using Ultra-high Field fMRI
Industry Symposia: SIEMENS HEALTHINEERS 12:00 – 14:30 Theatre Studio
- Christina Triantafyllou: Exploring New Frontiers in MRI
- Lars Muckli: Layer Specific Brain Reading at Submillimeter Resolution fMRI with 7T MAGNETOM Terra
- 2093 Anneke Alkemade: 7 Tesla MRI followed by histological 3D reconstructions in whole-brain specimens
- 2627 Robert Turner: Multi-shot inversion recovery EPI with SMS excitation for high spatial resolution T1-mapping
- 2899 Faruk Gulban: 9.4T MRI reveals mesoscopic cortical gray matter vasculature in vivo
- 3374 Uk-Su Choi: Vessel segmentation using MP2RAGE images at 7T MRI
- 2885 Elisa Zamboni: Ultra-high field fMRI reveals cortical depth specificity for adaptation in the human visual cortex
- 2394 Olivia Viessmann: Testing vascular contributions to BOLD spin-echo EPI signals with cortical B0 orientation effects
- 2422 Marilia Menezes de Oliveira: Detectability of ocular dominance and orientation preference in V1 using fMRI
- 2591 Adnan Shah: EPI based distortion- and resolution-matched T1-Like anatomy for submillimeter-resolution fMRI at 7T
- 2965 Daniel Haenelt: Reliable 3D mapping of ocular dominance columns in humans using GE-EPI fMRI at 7 T
- 4338 Luca Vizioli: Depth dependent attentional modulations observed with high temporal resolution BOLD fMRI at 7T
- 4995 Kimberly Weldon: Eye selectivity peaks in middle layers of human visual cortex: evidence from 7T fMRI data
- 3176 Emily Finn: Layer-dependent activity in human prefrontal cortex during working memory. Talk at 11:30
- 4584 Martin Havlicek: Estimating laminar neuronal response using a hemodynamic model of depth-dependent BOLD signal. Talk at 11:30
- 1739 Daisie Pakenham: Assessing somato- and mototopic organisation in Focal Hand Dystonia using high-resolution 7T fMRI
- 4264 Shahin Nasr: V1 BOLD fluctuations are influenced by global stimulus properties – A high-resolution fMRI study
- 3687 Icaro Oliveira: Comparing VASO and BOLD responses elicited by different hand movement rates at 7T
- 4979 Atena Akbari: Laminar Signal Change of BOLD and VASO in Human Visual Cortex at 7T
- 4666 Jingyuan Chen: Differentiating neural and non-neural components in fMRI using cross-cortical depth delay patterns
ISMRM 2019 in Montreal
- Educational Jeroen Siero: High Spatial Resolution fMRI, Saturday 10:35 710B.
- Educational Martin Havlicek: HRF: Modeling & Transients. Saturday 13:50 710B.
- Educational Laurentius Huber: Laminar Physiology. Saturday 14:10 710B.
- 0062 Talk Mukund Balasubramanian: Tangential and radial diffusion in human primary somatosensory and motor cortex: evidence from in-vivo line-scan acquisitions at 7T with 250–500 micron radial resolution, Monday 08:15, 511BCEF.
- 0203 Talk Evelyn Lake: Spanning spatiotemporal scales with simultaneous mesoscopic calcium imaging and functional MRI, Monday 13:45, 710A.
- 0204 Talk Michèle Desjardins: Multimodal awake mouse imaging: from two-photon microscopy to BOLD-fMRI. Monday, 13:45, 710A.
- 0205 Talk Rebekka Bernard: Ultra high field BOLD measurements combined with simultaneous determination of blood oxygenation and blood volume by optical imaging. Monday, 13:45, 710A.
- 0360 PowerPitch Chengwen Liu: Attention modulation of layer-specific signals in human visual cortex. Tuesday 08:15, Theater C.
- 0361 PowerPitch Daisie Pakenham: Assessing somatotopic and mototopic organisation in Focal Hand Dystonia using high-resolution 7T fMRI. Tuesday 08:15, Theater C.
- 0366 PowerPitch Laurentius Huber: Measuring layer-dependent CBV fMRI in the visual system. Tuesday, 08:15, Theater C.
- 0371 PowerPitch Burak Akin: Microstrip Array Insert for Head Coils: Towards Layer fMRI at High Fields. Tuesday, 08:15, Theater C.
- 0536 Talk Anna I Blazejewska: Testing temporal dependence of spatial specificity in BOLD fMRI at 7T: comparing short versus long stimulus duration. Tuesday, 13:30, 516C-E.
- 0537 Talk Michaël Bernier: Prospects for improving neuronal specificity of fMRI with Ferumoxytol: an evaluation of vascular segmentation and cortical depth-dependent analysis. Tuesday, 13:30, 516C-E.
- 0608 Talk Laurentius Huber: Measuring layer-dependent fMRI activity across layers in cognitive brain areas: challenges and capabilities. Tuesday, 15:45, 510A-D .
- 0609 Talk Sriranga Kashyap: Laminar CBF and BOLD fMRI in the human visual cortex using arterial spin labelling at 7T. Tuesday, 15:45, 510A-D.
- 0610 Talk Yuhui Chai: A Novel Intravascular Contrast for Laminar Functional MRI. Tuesday, 15:45, 510A-D.
- 0611 Talk Hang Zeng: Concurrent intracellular calcium recordings with laminar fMRI mapping. Tuesday, 15:45, 510A-D.
- 0612 Talk Daniel Sharoh: Whole brain depth-dependent task based connectivity with laminar fMRI. Tuesday, 15:45, 510A-D.
- 0614 Talk Jingyuan Chen: De-noising high-resolution fMRI data using cortical depth-dependent analysis. Tuesday, 15:45, 510A-D.
- 0616 Talk Luca Vizioli: Probing spatio-temporal information during attention modulations in humans with sub-second sampling of cortical depth dependent BOLD fMRI signals at 7T. Tuesday, 15:45, 510A-D.
- 0615 Talk Yazhu Qian: Robust detection of layer-specific activities in the human LGN. Tuesday, 15:45, 510A-D.
- 0613 Talk Yinghua Yu: Increased activity in superficial and deep layers of human S1 for prediction error. Tuesday ,15:45, 510A-D.
- 0617 Talk Jiajia Yang: High-resolution fMRI maps of columnar organization in human primary somatosensory cortex. Tuesday, 15:45, 510A-D.
Posters on Wednesday
- 3715 Poster Joerg Pfannmoelle: Quantification of draining vein dominance across cortical depths in BOLD fMRI from first principles using realistic Vascular Anatomical Networks. Wednesday, 13:30, Poster Hall, Computer 36.
- 3725 Poster Marcello Venzi: VASO signal decreases associated with BOLD increases: a possible role of CSF volume redistribution. Wednesday, 13:30, Poster Hall, .
- 3933 Poster Jeroen Siero: Implementing human line-scanning fMRI: Initial results of ultra-high temporal and spatial resolution fMRI. Wednesday, 14:30, Poster Hall.
- 3934 Poster Suhyung Park: Sub-Millimeter Resolution Compressed Sensing GRASE for T2-Weighted Functional MRI at 7 Tesla. Wednesday, 14:30, Poster Hall.
- 4420 Poster Rüdiger Stirnberg: T1 Mapping at 7T Using a Novel Inversion-Recovery Look-Locker 3D-EPI Sequence. Thursday, 08:15, Poster Hall, Computer 47
- 1167 Talk Seong Dae Yun: Full-FOV, Whole-brain, Half-millimetre Resolution fMRI at 7T using Accelerated multi-band EPIK with TR-external Phase Correction. Thursday, 13:45, 520A-F.
- 1168 Talk Nadine N Graedel: Ultra-high spatial resolution TURBINE fMRI at 7T. Thursday, 13:45, 520A-F.
- 1169 Talk Avery Berman: High-resolution segmented-accelerated EPI using Variable Flip Angle FLEET with tailored slice profiles. Thursday, 13:45, 520A-F.
- 1252 Talk Arjan D. Hendriks: Pushing fMRI spatial and temporal resolution further: high density receive arrays combined with shot-selective 2D CAIPIRINHA for 3D EPI scans at 7T. Thursday, 16:00, 520A-F.
SFN 2018 in San Diego
- 059.24 / HH2 P. ZHANG: Robust detection of laminar activities in the human LGN with UHF fMRI, Nov. 3, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM, poster hall
- 107.06 W. SCHELLEKENS: Population Receptive Fields revealed in sensorimotor hand region with 7 Tesla fMRI and high-density ECoG recordings. Nov. 4, 9:15 AM – 9:30 AM, talk in room SDCC 25
- 125.12 / H12, J. J. BONAIUTO: Distinct deep and superficial cortical inputs cause beta bursts in human sensorimotor cortex. Nov. 4, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM, poster all
- 41.08 / AA11 – D. HERMES: A stimulus derived model of gamma oscillations in human visual cortex. Nov. 4, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM, poster hall
- 142.21 / DD10 – C. QIAN: BOLD signal modulated with perception in the superficial layer of human V1 during binocular rivalry, Nov. 4 8:00 AM – 9:00 AM, poster hall
- 546.01 – E. FINN: High-resolution fMRI reveals layer-specific activity in human prefrontal cortex during working memory, Nov. 6, 1:00 PM – 1:15 PM, talk in room SDCC 30B
- 579.05 / GG6 – X. LI: Sub-millimeter resolution fmri reveals interdigitated body- and disparity-selective columns within macaque parietal cortex, Nov. 6. 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM, poster hall
- 579.23 / HH7 – A. BALCIOGLU: Mapping thalamic projections onto L2/3 pyramidal neurons of visual cortex. Nov. 6, 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM, poster hall
- 675.03 / DP08/PP13 – L. HUBER: Unique functional digit representation in human motor cortex across columns and layers. Nov 7, 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM, dynamic poster
- 777.02 / BBB7 – M. MENEZES DE OLIVEIRA: Detectability of ocular dominance and orientation preference features in primary visual cortex using fMRI. Nov. 7, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM, poster hall
- 719.08 – A. PATON: Decoding counterfactual information in extrastriate cortex during visual room navigation with 3T and 7T fMRI after immersion training in virtual reality. Nov. 7, 2:45 PM – 3:00 PM, talk in room SDCC 23
- 735.08 / E31 – R. SCHEERINGA: EEG power predicts laminar specific fMRI connectivity, Nov. 7, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM, poster hall
ISMRM 2018 in Paris
The corresponding videos are collected in this YouTube Playlist.
- Educational Jonathan R. Polimeni: High Resolution Applications: Cortical Layers. Saturday 16:15 N03.
- 0388 Laurentius Huber: Functional Mapping of Body Part Representations across Layers and Columns in Humans. Tue 08:15 N04.
- 0389 Ying-Hua Chu: Cortical depth dependent resting state fMRI with motion correction. Tue 08:15, N04.
- 0390 Anna I Blazejewska: Improved spatial specificity of the early positive BOLD response observed with high-resolution fMRI at 3T. Tue 08:15 N04.
- 0391 Michelle Moerel: Columnar processing of acoustic features in human auditory cortex. Tue 08:15 N04.
- 0392 Andrew Morgan: Cortical feedback to superficial layers of V1 contains predictive scene information. Tue 08:15, N04.
- 0393 Yinghua Yu:Depth-dependent functional mapping of mental prediction in human somatosensory cortex . Tue 08:15, N04.
- 0394 Sriranga Kashyap: True laminar resolution fMRI of the human visual cortex at 7T. Tue 08:15 N04.
- 0395 Olivia Viessmann: The EPI rs-fMRI signal shows an orientation effect with respect to B0 and phase-encode axis across cortical depth Tue 08:15, N04.
- 0396 Luca Vizioli: Estimating the Spatial Precision of Multivoxel Pattern of BOLD Response at 7T. Tue 08:15, N04.
- 0397 Alberto Merola: Hypercapnic and hyperoxic laminar calibrated BOLD: are conventional models adequate? Tue 08:15 N04.
- 0709 Tetiana Dadakova: Blood-volume imaging using GRASE-VASO at ultra-high field for layer specific fMRI in human brain. Wed 08:15, N04
- 0708 Saskia Bollmann: BOLD fMRI with 0.5 mm isotropic voxel size and minimal in-plane distortion using 3D planes-on-a-paddlewheel (POP) EPI at 7 Tesla. Wed 08:15 N04.
- 0870 Laurentius Huber: Differentiating neural and non-neural fMRI signals using CBV-BOLD fMRI. Wed 16:15 Powerpitch B.
- 2299 Alberto Merola Modelling the laminar GRE-BOLD signal: integrating anatomical, physiological and methodological determinants. Wed 13:45 poster 2299.
- 2301 Dimo Ivanov: Human whole-brain sub-millimeter cerebral blood flow map using 7T ASL. Wed 13:45 poster 2301.
- 2364 Jelle van Dijk: Linear systems analysis of laminar sub-millimetre GE-EPI fMRI. Wed 13:45 Poster 2364.
- 2380 Olivia Stanley: Comparing cortical layer activation using gradient echo with phase regression and spin echo in the human visual cortex. Wed 13:45 Poster 2380.
- 2877 Pierre-Louis Bazin: Sulcal ridge alignment for laminar fMRI at 7T. Wed 13:45 Poster 2377.
- 4127 Patrick Liebig: fMRI at 7 Tesla with 0.5mm Isotropic Resolution and Full Field of View. Tue 13:45 Computer 97.
- 4229 Daniel J Park: Rapid multi-inversion SMS-EPI integrated with gradient-echo, spin-echo and diffusion-weighted EPI acquisitions. Tue 14:45 Computer 79.
- 4548 Pu-Yeh Wu: Inter-subject correlation and adaptation effects across cortical depths in the human auditory cortex during natural music listening. Wed 08:15 Computer 41.
- 4656 Pu-Yeh Wu: Frequency preference and tuning width dependent intrinsic functional connectivity within and across cortical depths in the human auditory cortex. Wed 09:15 Computer 29.
- 4636 Kamil Uludag: Hemodynamic modeling of laminar resolution fMRI. Wed 09:15 Computer 9.
- 5442 Sriranga Kashyap: Effect of optimised coil-combinations on high-resolution laminar fMRI at 9.4T. Thur 13:15 Computer 5.
- 5446 An (Joseph) Vu: Dual reconstructions of SLIDER-XD for high spatial and temporal resolution resting state fMRI at 7T. Thur 13:15 Computer 9.
- 5447 An (Joseph) Vu: StImulus Locked K-space shuffling (SILK) for ultra-high resolution fMRI. Thur 13:15 Computer 10.
- 5450 Guoxiang Liu: Block-Interleaved Segmented EPI for voxel-wise high-resolution fMRI studies at 7T. Thur 13:15 Computer 13.
- 5468 Cheryl Olman: An automated method for assessing the accuracy of cross-modal registration in high-field fMRI. Thu 13:15 Computer 31.
OHBM 2019 in Singapore
- Layer specific dynamic causal modelling of MEG data – a feasibility analysis based on simulations. Poster 2339, Jakob Heinzle
- Ultra-high-resolution fMRI: a critical assessment. Poster 1729, Kendrick Kay
- Mapping color-selective columns in V2 across cortical depth using GE-EPI and SE-EPI. Poster 1758: Daniel Haenelt
- Image SNR requirements for cortical surface reconstructions from sub-millimeter anatomical data. Poster 2586: Natalia Zaretskaya
- Submillimeter 7 Tesla fMRI in Primary Visual Cortex during monocular stimulation. Poster 2856: Gilles de Hollander
- Cortical feedback to superficial layers of V1 contains predictive scene information. Poster 2873: Lars Muckli